‘We despatched two into area. Three got here again.” At first, nobody notices the extraterrestrial stowaway when a Soviet rocket lands again on Earth; the creature is tucked out of sight, getting comfortable within the oesophagus of one of many two astronauts on board. However it makes itself identified at a medical facility, slithering out of the person’s mouth, increasing, earlier than chomping on the brains of a nurse. Russian director Egor Abramenko makes his characteristic debut with this principally gripping film, a supremely assured Eighties-set sci-fi refrigerated with parts of a Soviet-era thriller and scares straight out of Alien. Its feminine hero has the psychological toughness of Ripley, too.
She is controversial psychiatrist Tatyana (Oksana Akinshina), who’s beneath investigation for treating a teenage affected person with anxiousness by holding his head beneath water. “It labored,” she shrugs. Whereas the authorities examine, Tatyana is known as to attend a distant analysis centre in Kazakhstan the place the astronaut (Pyotr Fyodorov) is being held by the military. The poor man is totally oblivious to the parasitic invader that wakes up at evening when he goes to sleep. His solely symptom is a tickly throat. Tatyana’s job is to psychoanalyse the alien, to grasp its predatory urge to kill. She is Clarice Starling to the alien’s Hannibal Lecter – with much less banter.
“You’ve gotten 90% entry to the power,” says the ferociously icy military officer in cost (Fedor Bondarchuk). What the navy is getting as much as within the remaining 10% seems to be horrifying. Scarier than the alien in truth, which is the large letdown of the movie, a generic part-reptilian part-arachnid mannequin that drips slime because it scutters and pounces. Which may be the purpose that Abramenko is making – that the remorseless cruelty of human beings, with all their ethical murk and compromise, is extra to be feared than the alien. He has made a wise and satisfying film, though the crashy-bashy deafening rating is so loud you’ll be able to in all probability hear it in area.
• Sputnik is out on digital platforms from 14 August.